Jerry Baggs Memorial Scholarship
The Jerry Baggs Memorial Scholarship was established to sponsor attendance to the National Jail Leadership Command Academy (NJLCA) that is housed at the Correctional Management Institute of Texas (CMIT) on the campus of Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. The NJLCA is a collaborative effort between the American Jail Association (AJA), CMIT and the National Association of Counties (NACo).
To be considered for this scholarship, you must be an active member of the Association serving your county in a mid-management position up to Assistant Jail Administrator. The course is designed to address the professional development and succession planning needs that now exist in the field of jail operations. This scholarship is administered by the Scholarship Committee of the Association. To apply, please fill out and return the application form. For questions contact Sharese Hurst.
Past President's Scholarship
The Texas Jail Association offers scholarships to eligible students pursuing an academic degree at a college or university. These scholarships are provided in honor of all Past Presidents of the Texas Jail Association. The scholarships are awarded for the Spring semester and Fall semester of each year.
- Must be enrolled in a College or University in an academic course of study.
- Must be less than 25 years of age at time of application.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
- Must have completed at least one semester of college.
- Must be enrolled as a full time student during semester the application is submitted. The general rule will be for 12 semester hours undergraduate, 9 semester hours for graduate students.
- Must not have been convicted of a crime, which would make an individual ineligible for employment in his/her field study.
- Must submit with application a brief biographical sketch and narrative, written in the applicant’s own words, stating why the applicant believes he/she is deserving of a scholarship award. May include personal accomplishments, activities and experiences, and may not exceed two (2) typewritten, double-spaced pages in length.
- Must be a son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter or grandchild of an Active Texas Jail Association member serving the State of Texas, pursuing a degree.
**Active Texas Jail Association Member: Member in good standing for at least one full year and current on membership dues for year applying.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS
- Applications must be submitted to the Texas Jail
Association. Applications for Scholarship must be submitted with all
supporting information attached.
- Applications must be received in the Texas Jail Association
office by July 1 each year for the Fall Semester and
by December 1 each year for the Spring Semester.
- A new application must be submitted for each semester. Only one application
needs be submitted with current supporting information for each semester.
- Applicants are only eligible to receive two scholarship awards.
- Students applying for scholarships must meet the general
requirements of the Texas Jail Association.
Texas Jail Association
Institute of Texas
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2296